Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2009

Tis the Season to be...well Tis the Season!


It's seven days until Christmas...and I'm feeling excited about spending time with family and friends.  I must admit,...I just love this time of year.  From Thanksgiving to New Years...I am truly in spirit.  I love the smell of pine and cinnamon that lingers in the air.   To me, the atmosphere feels like I'm surrounded by a big hug! (I know, it's corny right...but true!)

Now on the flip-side, people seem stressed beyond belief. 

The malls are flooded with weary shoppers looking for the best deal...all the while fighting over the size they need with the next weary shopper that has a better reach and more aggressive elbowing tactics!  (Kobe and Lebron look out...your competition is in the nearest mall!) 

The parking lot is nothing short of mayhem.  Picture this:  Car #1 is on one end....Car #2 is on the other end...both are racing for the same spot...both are playing chicken...who loses...who loses....the poor elderly lady with her shopping cart that has to leap out of the way to avoid being sandwiched by a head-on crash!  Come on people, is anything that serious?  SMH and wondering why people make Target's parking lot their own personal Speedway.

As "Santa" prepares to give the kids everything their heart desires...the Christmas lists keep growing and growing....  Dear Santa:  I would like (this long a$$ list of things that I can't even spell!) I mean really, who needs a Wii, an Ipod, a laptop, a PS (whatever the latest is)...a plasma TV...a new cell phone...and much more...  I ask, when is this "fortunate" child going to have time to sit down and do some homework?  And parents, if your child is averaging D's in class...it's probably a sign that all they need for Christmas is a book and a tutor!  But hey...that's just me!

Tis the season for giving.  So I wonder, how is it that people leave the stores with two carts...or fifteen bags, but don't have a quarter to put in the Salvation Army collection can?  Note:  You saw Santa or the helper outside when you went in the store.  So, did you not think to save a few cents to donate to those less fortunate...?  Does that mean you went in and spent every dime...all in the name of Christmas gifts?

Okay, lastly....something to keep in mind...just because it looks nice to you doesn't mean it looks nice to others.  Just because you can put a thousand green lights on the outside of your house doesn't mean that your neighbors want to look at the green monstrosity.  For those of you that have those large inflatables that only stay inflated for about thirty minutes...remember less is more!  And making your child happy...has your yard looking a mess!

So...Tis the Season ...to be a basketball player...a race-car driver....greedy little kid, ....a tutor in need of a job...nickel-ing and dime-ing / scrooge...and a decoration fashionista (NOT!).  Let's get back to what is important...love, joy, celebration, and giving....!  Now is the time to reevaluate your holiday disposition. 

Happy Holidays!  May the joys of the season fill your heart and home.


And that's straight out of The She-Spot!

3 comments:

  1. The Christmas is no longer what it used to be. I remember how happy I became when I got a 6-pack of crayons and a small coloring-book. Wow .. has things changed since then??

    It's kind of weird actually - that I'm done with most shopping - almost done with fixing up my house .. But still feel somethings missing. I think it's the joy - the happiness of doing all of this with the children and my family. None of them has shown any interest this year. Makes me kind of wanting to cancel the Christmas ..
    But then again - I know the four-year-old desperately wants to meet with Santa .. :o) So - this year - Christmas is basically for her .. :o)
    And - I haven't used all of my money - for once. Guess it's become less important to buy EVERYTHING - and just go for something that I know will be appreciated. And I have money left to donate to those less fortunate.

    That's very fulfilling in it self.

    Wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS - thanks for a great post. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Christmas is a great time of year. I love seeing people with the spirit! Thanks for spreading the joy!

    Here’s a recent article I particularly enjoyed on Christmas joy: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/merry-christmas/

    I’d love to see more. Thanks!

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mike....appreciate the review. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete